Friday, February 06, 2004

A VERY BUSY TWO DAYS

Drove up from London on Wednesday night and this week I didn't even manage to have my mobile phone stolen. On the way up stopped off to speak to Cambridge University Conservatives on the subject of The Tories & the Media. Had a good and lively audience of rather unsterotypical Cambridge students. Much enjoyed the dinner afterwards where the subjects of discussion ranged from the merits of Dallas (the TV series, not the town) to the worst speaker they have had to speak to them. No amount of money would drag the name out of me of course. As you know, I'm not one to gossip! On Thursday I drove over to Titchwell RSPB Reserve on the Norfolk coast for a briefing on bird matters and a look round. The first two people I saw on the reserve were members of North Norfolk Conservatives. Small world. Then drove to Holt for a meeting with the local NFU before visiting Rebecca House, the subject of the press release below. It was an amazing experience to meet the patients and relatives, who explained to me what a disaster it would be if the unit were run down. We had half a page in the Eastern Evening News, who made out they had discovered the wholoe story. Typical. But it was good coverage and they even wrote an editorial. This morning I was shown round Paston College (a sixth form college) in North Walsham by the highly enthusiastic Principal, Peter Mayne. Incredibly sixth form colleges receive only a third of the funding given to sixth forms within secondary schools. This evening I spoke to Blakeney Conservatives AGM. An extremely good turnout. A guy came up to me at the end and said: "I wasn't convinced about you before but I am now". I'll settle for that any day...

No comments: