Monday, January 09, 2006

Can Tory MPs Nominate the LibDem Leader?

Poor old Chris Huhne. You have to feel sorry for him. Firstly he's a LibDem MP, secondly, I have tipped him as a future LibDem leader, but thirdly and more importantly, he had his New Year Skiing holiday ruined. He was with the Parliamentary Skiing team on their annual trip to race against Swiss MPs (a thankless task, I hear) and he spent most of it with a mobile phone glued to his ear. Labour MP Denis MacShane also put the wind up him by saying that he had read the LibDem constitution and while it was true that any potential LibDem leadership candidate needed 7 MPs to sign a nomination paper, it didn't actually say they had to be LibDem MPs. A special prize to any reader of this blog who can tell me if the LibDem constitution really is that badly written. If so, I shall be organising a block nomination of 198 Tory MPs for John Hemming. That is, if he hasn't already cottoned on to it himself.

7 comments:

Paul Evans said...

Afraid I don't think it will be possible Iain, the constitution isn't that badly drafted!

"10.5 Nominations must be of a Member of the Parliamentary Party in the House of Commons, who must be proposed by at least ten percent of other such members of the Parliamentary Party in the House of Commons and supported by 200 members in aggregate in not less than 20 Local Parties"

I realise this makes me look quite sad.

Anonymous said...

And he (Iain) a little stupid - jump to a few conclusions did we?

Anonymous said...

Oooo - a moderator?

Iain Dale said...

Anonymous, I don't think I jumped to any conclusion! I asked for the truth and got it. And yes, I do moderate comments because of past bitter experience and Spam. Anyone who posts insults anonymously gets rejected. Simple as that. You just skipped through!

Aidan said...

I see that Hemming *still* believes himself capable of getting nominated (apparently he can deliver loads of votes from Birmingham and still thinks he can get 7 MPs backing him).

Well, I enjoy a good pantomime...

Anonymous said...

Turn the question round, and we get: Can a Tory be nominated for the LibDem leadership?
Well in that case, I nominate Cameron, he is tailor made for the job.

Paul Linford said...

Huhne is considering standing so your tip wasn't that wide of the mark. I've tipped him as well so he seems to be well on the way to becoming the bloggers candidate....