Friday, March 31, 2006

Another Senior Tory MP to Stand Down

Tim Boswell, MP for Daventry, tonight announced he would not be standing again. He is the third senior Conservative to announce their retirement in as many weeks, following in the footsteps of Michael Howard and Sir Michael Spicer. Tim said that the boundary changes affecting his seat were a major reason for his decision, and if they did not go through he would change his mind. Ann Widdecombe has also talked of retiring but hasn't formally announced her decision yet. Full story HERE.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly. Surely he either wants to remain as an MP or not. I do wonder if we're going to see an avolanche of the old school retiring to make way for younger candidates.

Anonymous said...

I know the new South Northamptonshire will be safe for the tories...what about the new Daventry?
I thought it was considerably safe for the conservatives too.....I actually don't understand the boundary changes comment....has he elaborate them?
there'll be some more coverage on next week's Daventry Express...but does anyone know something more now?

Anonymous said...

Be under no illusions, guys, he has been pushed. CCHQ have to give a certain chap the favour he deserves.

I say no more.......

Anonymous said...

Association politics maybe? Perhaps what he meant was that if there was a general election before the new boundaries become law (2007 I believe) he would stand again, however after that point he would be too old to serve another full term.

Rigger Mortice said...

I've had the misfortune to meet him a few times.

Sad to see him go..........

Notttttt!

What a pompous twat!

And please spare me the 'oh he's a great constituency MP' thing.He's stopped more people voting tory than he's ever turned towards us.I vote tory despite him.

Rigger Mortice said...

sorry Iain,didn't mean to be abusive but he's one of the few tory MP's who could get me voting labour