Thursday, March 23, 2006

Lax Security on Capitol Hill

This morning I went to see a friend who I haven't seen for 14 years. He works for the US Government in a building on Capitol Hill. I expected the security to be extremely tight. I walked into the building, placed my bag on the X ray machine and then asked the female security attendant if she could ring through to tell him I had arrived. "Oh no," she replied. "I don't have a staff directory. Just go on up." So up I went. Not that I had a clue which room he was in. The Department of Homeland Security could start by making its own government buildings a little more secure!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, it wasn't that long ago when it was just as lax at the House. Nevertheless, it is inconceivable that it should be happening in this day and age.

Anonymous said...

Spent a summer there last year, and yep - security is laughable. There are numerious ways of getting in with out being checked and if they do check you it is never more than a cursorary glance.

But it is an open building, anyone is supposed to be able to get in, I like that idea in principle, but it's damn annoying when you work there.