Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Iain Dale & Rick Stein - A Personal Statement

Following allegations on this blog and others that Rick Stein and I are one and the same person and share the same voice box I would like to make it clear that the fact that we have never been seen in the same radio studio together is entirely coincidental. And I hate fish.

Seriously, whenever I host one of the theatre evenings with Ann Widdecombe someone usually comes up at the end and says "do you realise your voice sounds identical to Rick Stein?" Several people have also emailed to say the same thing after listening to my podcasts. To be honest, I only vaguely knew who Rick Stein was. Well, a voice is all we have in common. I don't cook, don't eat fish, don't live in Cornwall and am not rich. Apart from the, you can't tell us apart!

UPDATE: I'm informed that Rick Stein also has a Jack Russell called Chalky. My Jack Russell, Gio, is suitably unimpressed.

13 comments:

MisterInquisitor said...

This isn't one of those "I'll pretend lots of people say I look like someone, then deny it, and then people will say I do look like them after all" episodes is it?

Anonymous said...

A great compliment indeed; he's as talented at cooking as you are at shit-stirring!

Anonymous said...

What a load of codswallop!

Tim Roll-Pickering said...

A personal statement or a joint statement? Or is there no difference? ;)

Anonymous said...

I can tell your voices apart - Stein sounds a little bit more camp.

Anonymous said...

You even look alike! There is only one Ian/Rick Stein/Dale.

Anonymous said...

Talking of shared voice boxes, has anyone else noticed the strong similarity in voices between John Prescott and his defender-in-chief Lord Snape?

Anonymous said...

I shall now think of you forever as Ianrick Steindale, talented gossip and fishmonger manque

Prodicus said...

[ Lord Snape ] Isn't he in Harry Potter?

Scipio said...

Iain, if Rick Stein cooked for you - you wouldn't hate fish anymmore! His dishes are great!

Anonymous said...

There's a correspondent on Sky News who looks the spit of you- can't for the life of me remember his name, but he even wears the same colour suits as you (or my imagination is telling me that you wear cream-coloured suits for your TV appearances).

If I remember correctly, he's a defence or foreign affairs correspondent.

He's quite softly-spoken and relaxed in his approach, too, come to think of it...

Anonymous said...

Tim Marshall, Foreign Affairs Editor- that's the one.

No?

Well I thought so...

Anonymous said...

Phone Cam Foolery - Don't be so sceptical! Mick Jagger's hair has turned red. So has Paul McCartney's. These things happen.