Thursday, July 13, 2006

Two Old Bruisers in Love-in

John Reid: I had several other pages to which to refer and several other issues to raise, but as I see that my right hon. Friend at the other Dispatch Box, the right hon. Member for Haltemprice and Howden (David Davis) is eager to speak, and as I may have spoken for a little longer than I should have yesterday, I am more than willing to end my speech now.
David Davis: I am tempted to continue by referring to the Home Secretary as my right hon. Friend, as he just referred to me, but we would probably do each other equal harm. A cosy consensus may break out, but I think not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reid to cross the floor? Another exclusive, Iain!

The Waffle Tree said...

Just think how much parliamentary time would be saved if these formalities were dispensed with.

Anonymous said...

They'll be shacked up in a "civil partnership" next.

Serf said...

ust think how much parliamentary time would be saved if these formalities were dispensed with.

Time which would be used to pass yet more worthless legislation.

Lets keep these productivity busters.

Prodicus said...

the need for MPs to refer to each other in these archaic ways

Because Members of the House are there by the say-so of the people of their constituencies, and for no other reason. Addressing them thus reminds them - and us - of this fact. It's archaic, all right, but no less effective for that and worth retaining for good, democratic reasons.

Anonymous said...

Ornette,

Perhaps we should consider using the informalities of eastern European legislatures and abandon the civilised constraints and traditions of Westminters?

A few brawls and storming of sessions would probably lighten it up for you, eh?