Saturday, December 09, 2006

An Hour With Peter Hennessy

This week we've had quite a lineup of guests on 18DoughtyStreet - David Davis, Sayeeda Warsi, Nick Clegg, Paul Rowen, Mark Francois, Damian Green, Professor Peter Hennessy and Nigel Lawson. And next week we've got Chris Mullin, Andrew Macinlay, David Mundell and Patrick Mercer among others.

If you have an hour to spare over the weekend we're replaying the hour long one to one interview with Peter Hennessy. He really is a fascinating man and talks so knowedgeably and entertainingly about political history. He's got some real criticism of the Blair regime. We talk about his book HAVING IT SO GOOD: BRITAIN IN THE 1950s and the current state of government. He's got some fantastically insightful and amusing anecdotes. To me, this kind of interview is what 18DoughtyStreet is all about. Click HERE to watch the programme. It takes about 20 seconds to start.

UPDATE: Labour blogger Will Parbury emailed me to say this: "Watching you on 18 Doughty Street now and finding your discussion absolutely fascinating. It would be good if we made people watch this before getting the right to vote. I find it hard to imagine the BBC getting such an educated guest or presenter on for this amount of time."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding Interview Iain - You charmed him and drew a fascinating performance from him.

Anonymous said...

A great conversation. My only dilemma is whether to order the new book over your blog or 18DS...

Anonymous said...

Great conversation, great interview. I love the way that you don't Paxman it, rush the questions but let your guests actually answer them. Its a general observation but all the people you have on and generally could have on are very clever people, actually listening to them instead of having the interviewer jump in is really good.

I think Iain you might be one of the best interviewers on Television.

Anonymous said...

One of the best discussions that I have watched in a long time, Iain.

It was full of insight and taught me a great deal!

Much better than mainstream T.V and the "instant soundbite" and I look forward to more of the same.

Makes me happy (even at my age !)to be on the net.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all the above. An excellent interview with a very interesting man; relaxed, informative and thought-provoking. It is so long since I saw anything of this quality on television.

Anonymous said...

Agree with gracchi!Superb interview.

Really shows up the sheer mediocrity of Paxman and his ilk.

And to think we have to pay their wages via the License Fee tax!

Anonymous said...

Peter Hennessey's comment as the interview finished "great fun" summed it up - I'd class it as a fascinating conversation, not an interview. Its the sort of thing Hardtalk tried to achieve but couldn't (the title & format predicated a degree of aggression). It achieved that great thing of stimulating thought - I found myself googling for information on some refrences.

Anonymous said...

Superb discussion and everything the BBC should do but doesn't anymore. I wish Peter Hennessy would do weekly column somewhere to comment on current events. His books are an outstanding contribution to current political history.

Johnny Norfolk said...

Why have we not seen more of this man.

You gave him all the room he needed to express himself, yet moved it along.

It was one of the best interviews I have seen for a long time.

Very well done Iain you showed the most important thing about interview technique. listening.

Many years ago the BBC did things like that.

Johnny Norfolk said...

Iain

I must add that this shows just how poor and dumbed down the BBC have become.

When you think of how many BBC chanels we are all paying for and we get nothing like this.

I realy commend you for this, and you should be very proud of your ability to bring out the best in people.

Iain Dale said...

thanh you one and all. nice to have done something right for once!