Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My New Book of Political Quotations

My new book is published today. It's called 500 OF THE MOST WITTY, ACERBIC & ERUDITE THINGS EVER SAID ABOUT POLITICS - perhaps the longest book title in history, but it does what it says on the tin. And the great thing is, it only costs £7.99 in hardback (or £6.79 if you order it HERE).
Here are a dozen of my favourite quotations included in the book, some of which you may not have come across before...
Being an MP feeds your vanity and starves your self respect - Matthew
Parris

In politics you get what you deserve rather than what you want - Cecil
Parkinson

You have to be in the arena to make a difference - Richard Nixon

Whenever I am told that politicians are the lowest form of human life, I
thank God I am not an estate agent
- Jack Straw

I have always believed that a government had a limited capapcity to do good
and a virtually infinite capacity to do harm
- Neil Hamilton

I have more government than I want, more government than I need and more
government than I can afford
- John Redwood

The Labour Party has lost the last four elections. If they lose another,
they get to keep the Liberal Party
- Clive Anderson

The Tory Party never panics- except in a crisis - Sir John Hoskyns

There are no limits to our future if we don't put limits on our people -
Jack Kemp

Poverty is considered quaint in rural areas because it comes thatched -
John Gummer

Peter Mandelson is someone who can skulk in broad daylight - Simon
Hoggart

I'm used to being unpopular. I'm a Conservative and I'm from Wales - Nigel
Evans MP

9 comments:

Newmania said...

You say its cheap but then I am often hilarious for nothing, so Newmania is clearly still the best deal in the shop

Anonymous said...

"government had a limited capapcity to do good
and a virtually infinite capacity to do harm.."

whereas Neil Hamilton had a very limited capacity to do either.

Ned said...

Anyone but Harriett Harmann...she's such a Rich Leftie who made uncalled for grotty comments on today's DP

Anonymous said...

No, you'll find the longest book title in history - which, happily, is a history book - here

Louise said...

Wahey - Father's Day sorted. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Any of your comments in the book Iain? No, probably not. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm never sure what people do with books of quotations - sit there saying tem out loud in funny voices seems the best bet.

ian said...

Does it have that Michael Howard quote about grammar and public schoolboys?

Iain Dale said...

yes