Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Conference Diary: Tuesday 6

Today has been a day of endless fringes. At lunchtime I chaired a Climate Change discussion for the Conservative Women's Organisation, which was quite a genteel occasion. Earlier this evening I spoke on why Parliament is so unrepresentative, and even got heckled. I had the temerity to disagree with Theresa May, who reckoned one reason women don't get involved in politics is because the media discuss their appearance too much. Rubbish, I said. It was the same for men. Had she not heard people discussing William Hague's baldness, David Cameron's partings or Gordon Brown's funny jaw? This provoked one woman in the audience into paroxysms. Well, I exaggerate slightly, but she certainly wasn't about to join the Iain Dale Fan Club.

Then it was on to my final fringe event in the Freedom Zone, where I chaired Tories Got Talent. I had expected the whole thing to be a disaster, but in the end there were too many people wanting to take part. It was great fun, with the real speaking talents on display. Rupert Matthew won the competition - he's number three Euro candidate in the East Midlands. He gave a brilliantly funny speech titled "Don't mention Europe - I did, but I think I got away with it. James Cleverly came second, with Shane Greer, Zehra Zaidi and Robert Cook featuring in the Top Five. I hope this event will become a regular.

Anyway, I have now driven home, and for personal reasons will be missing the last day of the conference. I will explain the reason tomorrow.

16 comments:

Alan Douglas said...

If Teresa May had ANY dress sense, she would not be wearing "kitten heels" or leopard skin prints while representing the party in public.

Her strange tastes are what get discussed, not her appearance.

Equivalent of DC giving his speeched in a snorkling outfit.

Silly woman.

Alan Douglas

Anonymous said...

Does anybody know where I can place a bet that the Lloyds-TSB shareholders do not approve the HBOS deal.

Anonymous said...

Does the Blaney arse-licking apology to ConHome foreshadow him looking for a seat. He refuses to publish the question,never mind the answer, on his blog.

Anonymous said...

Alan Douglas

You can "sell" HBOS on the IG index

http://www.igindex.co.uk/

Man in a Shed said...

I misread your post first time through and thought you said Iain Dale Fight Club.

The first rule of IDFC - no one blogs about IDFC ..etc

I need coffee before this morning starts ...

Anonymous said...

Iain,

Did you go home because you were not asked to welcome David Cameron to the stage for his big speech?

Anonymous said...

Remember 1965?My father Iain Macleod was credited with the term "stagflation" which describes a period when the economy is cursed with stagnation and rising inflation.His words have an awful resonance as we face rising fuel,energy and shopping bills and an economy that is left hanging in the balance,battered by world events that have had a serious knock-on effect.Will our present polticians learn from the past?George Osborne is ready to pick-up the baton.I hope his chance comes sooner rather than later.

Unsworth said...

And was the woman heckler ugly?

Bad Bunny said...

I agree, Iain. Men in politics are criticised on their appearance just as much as women, it's just seen as somehow more acceptable.

While I find it a bit depressing to think that, should I ever act on my political ambitions, people might talk more about my haircut or my handbag than my policies, it doesn't really put me off.

Anonymous said...

Dianah.......now there was a REAL politician.

Unfortunately they don't make them like that any more (well very few).

Anonymous said...

pm endorses...

You could try 'shorting' the HBOS stock ! But I suspect this very real eventuality, now that Gordon 'Blunderman' Brown has intervened, has already been factored into the share price - a lively discussion to this end is already taking place on Robert Peston's fine blog..

Anonymous said...

"Tories Got Talent"

Jesus wept.

Anonymous said...

My comment now mysteriously appears on Blaney's Blarney. Shame it took so long. What power your blog has.

sharetipsinfo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sharetipsinfo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
www.puntercalls.com said...

indian stock market leader advisory www.puntercalls.com is now open to retail investor and trader of nse and bse. The finest and accurate stock calls are being offer which was never before in the stock market.
www.puntercalls.com is an innitiative from Punter Groups, India. You may not have experienced this type of great calls before and www.puntercalls.com welcomes you to taste the finest calls of indian share market.